Iced Caramel Macchiato with Dalgona topping
We recently had a request to showcase whipped coffee, also known as Dalgona coffee. Touted as an incredible and innovative way to serve up a creamy coffee drink, we tried it, and honestly... found it to be all fluff. We scoured the interwebs for varying techniques, but found that ultimately, coffee whip is a bit bitter and even with sugar and cream, we still weren't that impressed.
We DID however, decide that it makes a fun and fancy topping and when added in small portions to a sweet coffee drink (hot or cold), it is much more tolerable and adds a bit of flair. It's very easy to make Dalgona whip. All you need is a frother, instant coffee, sugar, and warm water.
In this recipe, we paired our Dalgona coffee with a great iced coffee recipe that's sweetness perfectly compliments the more bitter whip.
Give it a try and see what you think!
In a cup add:
- 2 oz creamer of choice, whole milk, or half and half
- 1 Tbsp vanilla/almond honey (See our blog How to infuse honey at home) or just use plain honey
- Dash of cinnamon
- Froth until doubled in volume and set aside
For the Dalgona whip topping- in another small cup add:
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Froth and set aside
To your mug add:
- 1oz coffee liqueur (if it’s the weekend;)
- 8oz cold brew Smart Owl Coffee (See our blog Cold Brew How To)
- Add 1-2 TBSP caramel sauce (we prefer Ghirardelli brand)
- Add frothed milk
- Top with coffee foam