Smart Owl Coffee is dedicated to providing a superior product. All of our supplements come from accredited sources and are COA tested. All of our ingredients meet the "GRAS" guidelines set by the FDA, which deems them as safe for human consumption. Learn more about GRAS. If you have any questions or concerns about safety, please reach out to us or consult your physician.
Here are the Rules that Smart Owl was founded on:
Rule 1: Start with USDA Organic Coffee Smart Owl Coffee blends are all made using expertly roasted, small batch, direct or fair trade, USDA organic coffee beans
Rule 2: Only use infusions that are backed by science Smart Owl Coffees are only infused with beneficial ingredients that are safe and backed by peer reviewed studies
Rule 3: Enhance with flavor profiles that maximize the experience Smart Owl Coffee takes pride in using unique and complimentary flavor designs that are sure to set us apart
DRINK SMART. THINK SMART.
OUR FEATURED INGREDIENT: L-theanine is an amino acid that is beneficial in many processes yet is not abundant in our diets. A known nootropic, or a cognitive enhancer, L-theanine safely bolsters the brain in several ways. It increases alpha brain waves, which reduce anxiety and promote creativity and a calm mood. It is also associated with an elevation in levels of beneficial non-excitatory neurotransmitters, namely GABA, and other compounds, such as dopamine and seratonin, that facilitate smooth communication among brain cells.
L-theanine also plays a role in immune regulation. Studies show that L-theanine increases innate immunity by regulating Th1/Th2 cytokines. Basically L -Theanine beefs up your front line attackers against foreign invaders.
L-theanine also aids in digestion. Studies show that it improves gastric ulcers that were cause by using common NSAIDs. There is also evidence in animal models that L-theanine increases intestinal transporters in the small intestine.
All L-theanine effects are known to be enhanced in the presence of caffeine, which makes this combo a NO BRAINER and the base from which all of our blends are built from. The combination of caffeine and L-theanine produce a low-stress, sustained, super focus that allows you to achieve maximum productivity, without the jitters and crash that you might experience with coffee alone.
Click Coffee and Chemistry to read our blog about this killer combo
- Kelly SP, Gomez-Ramirez M, Montesi JL, Foxe JJ. L-theanine and caffeine in combination affect human cognition as evidenced by oscillatory alpha-band activity and attention task performance. J Nutr. 2008;138(8):1572S-1577S. doi:10.1093/jn/138.8.1572S
- Yoto A, Motoki M, Murao S, Yokogoshi H. Effects of L-theanine or caffeine intake on changes in blood pressure under physical and psychological stresses. J Physiol Anthropol. 2012;31(1):28. Published 2012 Oct 29. doi:10.1186/1880-6805-31-28
- Li C, Tong H, Yan Q, et al. L-Theanine Improves Immunity by Altering TH2/TH1 Cytokine Balance, Brain Neurotransmitters, and Expression of Phospholipase C in Rat Hearts. Med Sci Monit. 2016;22:662-669. Published 2016 Feb 28. doi:10.12659/msm.897077
- Liu Y, Wang X, Hu CA. Therapeutic Potential of Amino Acids in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Nutrients. 2017;9(9):920. Published 2017 Aug 23. doi:10.3390/nu9090920
- Yan Q, Tong H, Tang S, Tan Z, Han X, Zhou C. L-Theanine Administration Modulates the Absorption of Dietary Nutrients and Expression of Transporters and Receptors in the Intestinal Mucosa of Rats. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9747256. doi:10.1155/2017/974725
- Wallace JL, Devchand PR. Emerging roles for cyclooxygenase-2 in gastrointestinal mucosal defense. Br J Pharmacol. 2005;145(3):275-282. doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0706201
found in Immunity Blend
L-Lysine is classified as an essential amino acid. This simply means that it can not be synthesized in the body and must be obtained in the diet. L-lysine's role in immune function is a little unique and indirect, but very important. Viruses need L-Arginine, an amino acid, to replicate and proliferate in the body. L-lysine inhibits the viruses access to L-arginine and therefore impedes the viruses ability to replicate. It's easier to think of L-lysine as an L-arginine blocker, helping to keep viruses from getting a foothold in your body.
- Butorov EV. Influence of L-lysine amino acid on the HIV-1 RNA replication in vitro. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2015;24(1):39-46. doi:10.1177/2040206614566582
Blood Orange Extract
found in Immunity Blend
Blood orange extract provides Vitamin C. It is common knowledge that vitamin C is good for your immune system but most people do not know the role it plays. Not only is vitamin C a great antioxidant but it is also accumulates in our immune mediated cells, such as neutrophils. Here it promotes phagocytosis and generates ROS, or reactive oxygen species, promoting the killing of microbial invaders.
- Carr AC, Maggini S. Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients. 2017;9(11):1211. Published 2017 Nov 3. doi:10.3390/nu9111211
found in Immunity Blend
Elderberry is gaining notice in the health field because of its immune boosting benefits. Multiple double blind placebo studies have shown that elderberry consumption drastically increases certain cytokines. These cytokines basically signal immune cells, such as Macrophages and T-cells, which aid in combating unwanted microbes.
- Tiralongo E, Wee SS, Lea RA. Elderberry Supplementation Reduces Cold Duration and Symptoms in Air-Travellers: A Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Nutrients. 2016;8(4):182. Published 2016 Mar 24. doi:10.3390/nu8040182
found in Immunity Blend
Zinc is an essential mineral that plays hundreds of roles in our bodies. It's role in immunity is unique in that it contributes to innate immunity, such as neutrophils and Natural killer cells, as well as adaptive immunity, such as T and B lymphocytes. Research shows that taking zinc can shorten durations of colds.
- Shankar AH, Prasad AS. Zinc and immune function: the biological basis of altered resistance to infection. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;68(2 Suppl):447S-463S. doi:10.1093/ajcn/68.2.447S
Found in Immune Blend
Vitamin D has several important functions. Perhaps the most vital are regulating the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, and facilitating normal immune system function. Getting a sufficient amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases. Research has shown that vitamin D might play an important role in regulating mood and warding off depression, as well. Your body produces vitamin D naturally when it’s directly exposed to sunlight, however when exposure to sunlight it limited, you must obtain it through certain foods and supplements. Immune Blend is your sunshine in a cup- as it now contains 100% RDA of vitamin D in every 16oz cup.
L-Glutamine is the most plentiful amino acid in the body. This amino acid is considered semi essential because it will greatly reduce in time of stress, such as intense exercise and or injury. One area where L-Glutamine plays an important role is the regulation of tight junctions and reducing permeability of both the small and large intestine. It is important in maintaining the villi that line the intestine and prevent bacteria from entering through the intestinal wall. When L-Glutamine levels are low you are at risk for developing Leaky gut syndrome, IBS and IBD.
- Rao R, Samak G. Role of Glutamine in Protection of Intestinal Epithelial Tight Junctions. J Epithel Biol Pharmacol. 2012;5(Suppl 1-M7):47-54. doi:10.2174/1875044301205010047
found in Digest Blend
Cinnamon is a bark that tastes great in coffee and is loaded with antioxidants. This bark exhibits a couple of beneficial effects when consumed. The first is its powerful anti inflammatory properties. These properties are thought to aid in digestion and prevent indigestion and heartburn. Another advantage of using cinnamon with meals is its ability to control blood sugar levels. Some studies show that cinnamon consumption can lower blood sugar by over 20%.
- Hagenlocher Y, Bergheim I, Zacheja S, Schäffer M, Bischoff SC, Lorentz A. Cinnamon extract inhibits degranulation and de novo synthesis of inflammatory mediators in mast cells. Allergy. 2013;68(4):490-497. doi:10.1111/all.12122
- Gunawardena D, Karunaweera N, Lee S, et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of cinnamon (C. zeylanicum and C. cassia) extracts - identification of E-cinnamaldehyde and o-methoxy cinnamaldehyde as the most potent bioactive compounds. Food Funct. 2015;6(3):910-919. doi:10.1039/c4fo00680a
- Hagenlocher Y, Hösel A, Bischoff SC, Lorentz A. Cinnamon extract reduces symptoms, inflammatory mediators and mast cell markers in murine IL-10(-/-) colitis. J Nutr Biochem. 2016;30:85-92. doi:10.1016/j.jnutbio.2015.11.015
- Zare R, Nadjarzadeh A, Zarshenas MM, Shams M, Heydari M. Efficacy of cinnamon in patients with type II diabetes mellitus: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Clin Nutr. 2019;38(2):549-556. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2018.03.003
found in Digest Blend
Turmeric is a flowering plant which is harvested for its rhizomes. These rhizomes contain polyphenols the most notable is curcumin. Curcumin has many pharmacological properties and potential health benefits. One of these benefits is its ability to reduce NF-kB( nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells) which regulates cellular activity such as inflammation and apoptosis. Elevated NF-kB levels are found in colon biopsies with patients who suffer with IBS.
- Burge K, Gunasekaran A, Eckert J, Chaaban H. Curcumin and Intestinal Inflammatory Diseases: Molecular Mechanisms of Protection. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(8):1912. Published 2019 Apr 18. doi:10.3390/ijms20081912
Marshmallow Root extract
Found in Balance Blend
Marshmallow root extract (Althaea officinalis) has been used for centuries for its many health benefits because it is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Marshmallow Root contains flavonoids, which help regulate cellular activity and fight off free radicals that cause oxidative stress on your body. In simpler terms, they help your body function more efficiently while protecting it against everyday toxins and stressors. Marshmallow Root is said to support healthy skin, aid in digestion, and promote cardiovascular and respiratory health.
Maca Root Extract
Found in Balance Blend
Maca root extract (Lepidium meyenii), also known as Peruvian ginseng, wears many hats with regards to the various bioactivities that it can help to improve. Because of it's anti-fatigue properties, Maca root is effective in enhancing energy, stamina, and athletic performance. Several studies show beneficial effects on reproductive health, including increased libido (shwing!) Additional properties include antioxidation, neuroprotection, and antimicrobial activity.
- Dording CM, Schettler PJ, Dalton ED, et al. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of maca root as treatment for antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction in women. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:949036. doi:10.1155/2015/949036
- Gonzales GF, Gasco M, Lozada-Requena I. Role of maca (Lepidium meyenii) consumption on serum interleukin-6 levels and health status in populations living in the Peruvian Central Andes over 4000 m of altitude. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2013;68(4):347-351. doi:10.1007/s11130-013-0378-5
- Melnikovova I, Fait T, Kolarova M, Fernandez EC, Milella L. Effect of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on Semen Parameters and Serum Hormone Levels in Healthy Adult Men: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:324369. doi:10.1155/2015/324369
Ashwagandha Root Extract
Found in Balance Blend
- Pratte, Morgan A et al. “An alternative treatment for anxiety: a systematic review of human trial results reported for the Ayurvedic herb ashwagandha (Withania somnifera).” Journal of alternative and complementary medicine (New York, N.Y.) vol. 20,12 (2014): 901-8. doi:10.1089/acm.2014.0177
- Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian J Psychol Med. 2012;34(3):255-262. doi:10.4103/0253-7176.106022
Found in ReCharge Blend
L-Taurine a naturally occurring amino acid derivative with antioxidant properties that plays vital roles in nearly every cell in the body. It is revered by some researchers as a “wonder molecule” because few supplements safely provide as many potential health and performance benefits. L-Taurine and caffeine perfectly complement each other in that they both improve physical and mental performance.
-Detoxification and Liver protection: The liver is a detoxification machine and L-Taurine promotes liver function by protecting it against free radicals and toxins AND by preventing (even reversing according to some studies) fatty liver damage. With regards to alcohol, it facilitates the breakdown of acetylaldehyde (a hangover producing by product of alcohol consumption), thereby reducing the unwanted after effects of, ahem... over indulgence;)
-Physical Performance: Boosts physical performance by helping the flow of glucose to the muscles and supports the growth of muscle mass. In animal studies, L-Taurine caused muscles to work harder and for longer and increased the muscles' ability to contract and produce force. It also reduced fatigue and muscle damage during a workout
-Central Nervous System and Brain Function: Increases glycine and GABA to sooth the brain (AKA ease anxiety). It also protects the brain by reducing the harmful effects of excess glutamate and other toxins.
-Cardiovascular: Reduces blood pressure and regulates the body’s calcium level, reducing the risk of arteriosclerosis and heart attack.
-Digestion: Forms bile salts, which play an important role in digestion. May improve blood sugar control and combat diabetes.
- Ripps H, Shen W. Review: taurine: a "very essential" amino acid. Mol Vis. 2012;18:2673-86. Epub 2012 Nov 12. PMID: 23170060; PMCID: PMC3501277.
- Devi SL, Viswanathan P, Anuradha CV. Taurine enhances the metabolism and detoxification of ethanol and prevents hepatic fibrosis in rats treated with iron and alcohol. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009 Jan;27(1):120-6. doi: 10.1016/j.etap.2008.09.004. Epub 2008 Sep 23. PMID: 21783929.
- Schuller-Levis GB, Park E. Taurine: new implications for an old amino acid. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003 Sep 26;226(2):195-202. doi: 10.1016/S0378-1097(03)00611-6. PMID: 14553911.
- Aruoma OI, Halliwell B, Hoey BM, Butler J. The antioxidant action of taurine, hypotaurine and their metabolic precursors. Biochem J. 1988 Nov 15;256(1):251-5. doi: 10.1042/bj2560251. PMID: 2851980; PMCID: PMC1135395.
- Franconi F, Loizzo A, Ghirlanda G, Seghieri G. Taurine supplementation and diabetes mellitus. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006 Jan;9(1):32-6. doi: 10.1097/01.mco.0000196141.65362.46. PMID: 16444816.
- Kim KS, Oh DH, Kim JY, et al. Taurine ameliorates hyperglycemia and dyslipidemia by reducing insulin resistance and leptin level in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty (OLETF) rats with long-term diabetes. Exp Mol Med. 2012;44(11):665-673. doi:10.3858/emm.2012.44.11.075
Coconut Water Extract
Found in ReCharge Blend
Coconut Water powder is loaded with several important nutrients, including minerals that most people don’t get enough of, including: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Sodium, and Calcium. Coconut water may be the perfect thing for restoring hydration and replenishing electrolytes lost during exercise, or dehydration from other means. Research has shown that coconut water contains antioxidants which modify free radicals so they no longer cause harm. It may benefit your heart, blood sugar, kidney health and more.
- Saat M, Singh R, Sirisinghe RG, Nawawi M. Rehydration after exercise with fresh young coconut water, carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage and plain water. J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci. 2002 Mar;21(2):93-104. doi: 10.2114/jpa.21.93. PMID: 12056182.
- Santos JL, Bispo VS, Filho AB, Pinto IF, Dantas LS, Vasconcelos DF, Abreu FF, Melo DA, Matos IA, Freitas FP, Gomes OF, Medeiros MH, Matos HR. Evaluation of chemical constituents and antioxidant activity of coconut water (Cocus nucifera L.) and caffeic acid in cell culture. An Acad Bras Cienc. 2013;85(4):1235-47. doi: 10.1590/0001-37652013105312. Epub 2013 Sep 27. PMID: 24141413.
- Loki AL, Rajamohan T. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effect of tender coconut water on carbon tetrachloride induced liver injury in rats. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2003 Oct;40(5):354-7. PMID: 22900330.
- Manna K, Khan A, Kr Das D, Bandhu Kesh S, Das U, Ghosh S, Sharma Dey R, Das Saha K, Chakraborty A, Chattopadhyay S, Dey S, Chattopadhyay D. Protective effect of coconut water concentrate and its active component shikimic acid against hydroperoxide mediated oxidative stress through suppression of NF-κB and activation of Nrf2 pathway. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014 Aug 8;155(1):132-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2014.04.046. Epub 2014 May 14. PMID: 24835026.
Found in ReCharge Blend
The active ingredients in milk thistle are a group of plant compounds collectively known as silymarin Silymarin extracted from milk thistle is known to have antioxidant, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Extensive research has shown that it has protective properties in the liver, brain, and bones. It reduced liver inflammation and damage in numerous studies involving both alcohol and non-alcohol induced liver disease. Milk Thistle has been used for over 2 thousand years as a traditional remedy for neurological conditions and it’s antioxidant effects are thought to be neuroprotective. Researchers believe that is may be helpful at preventing osteoporosis by stimulating bone mineralization and protecting against bone loss.
- Abenavoli L, Capasso R, Milic N, Capasso F. Milk thistle in liver diseases: past, present, future. Phytother Res. 2010 Oct;24(10):1423-32. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3207. PMID: 20564545.
- Devi KP, Malar DS, Braidy N, Nabavi SM, Nabavi SF. A Mini Review on the Chemistry and Neuroprotective Effects of Silymarin. Curr Drug Targets. 2017;18(13):1529-1536. doi: 10.2174/1389450117666161227125121. PMID: 28025940.
- Pérez-Hernández J, Zaldívar-Machorro VJ, Villanueva-Porras D, Vega-Ávila E, Chavarría A. A Potential Alternative against Neurodegenerative Diseases: Phytodrugs. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:8378613. doi: 10.1155/2016/8378613. Epub 2016 Jan 6. PMID: 26881043; PMCID: PMC4736801.
- Kim MS, Ong M, Qu X. Optimal management for alcoholic liver disease: Conventional medications, natural therapy or combination? World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan 7;22(1):8-23. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v22.i1.8. PMID: 26755857; PMCID: PMC4698510.
- Aller R, Izaola O, Gómez S, Tafur C, González G, Berroa E, Mora N, González JM, de Luis DA. Effect of silymarin plus vitamin E in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. A randomized clinical pilot study. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015 Aug;19(16):3118-24. PMID: 26367736.
- Ferenci P, Dragosics B, Dittrich H, Frank H, Benda L, Lochs H, Meryn S, Base W, Schneider B. Randomized controlled trial of silymarin treatment in patients with cirrhosis of the liver. J Hepatol. 1989 Jul;9(1):105-13. doi: 10.1016/0168-8278(89)90083-4. PMID: 2671116.
- Kim JL, Kim YH, Kang MK, Gong JH, Han SJ, Kang YH. Antiosteoclastic activity of milk thistle extract after ovariectomy to suppress estrogen deficiency-induced osteoporosis. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:919374. doi: 10.1155/2013/919374. Epub 2013 May 28. PMID: 23781510; PMCID: PMC3678416.
Found in ReCharge Blend
Potassium is an electrolyte that helps your cells, kidneys, heart, muscles, and nerves work properly. It helps regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions and nerve signals. Less than 2% of Americans meet the US recommendations for potassium either because of inadequate diet or deficiencies resulting from loss of water. To get more in your diet, consume foods, such as beet greens, spinach, kale, salmon, or Smart Owl Coffee ReCharge Blend. A high-potassium diet may help reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against stroke and prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.
- Aburto NJ, Hanson S, Gutierrez H, Hooper L, Elliott P, Cappuccio FP. Effect of increased potassium intake on cardiovascular risk factors and disease: systematic review and meta-analyses. BMJ. 2013 Apr 3;346:f1378. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f1378. PMID: 23558164; PMCID: PMC4816263.
- Cogswell ME, Zhang Z, Carriquiry AL, Gunn JP, Kuklina EV, Saydah SH, Yang Q, Moshfegh AJ. Sodium and potassium intakes among US adults: NHANES 2003-2008. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Sep;96(3):647-57. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.034413. Epub 2012 Aug 1. PMID: 22854410; PMCID: PMC3417219.
- Gallen IW, Rosa RM, Esparaz DY, Young JB, Robertson GL, Batlle D, Epstein FH, Landsberg L. On the mechanism of the effects of potassium restriction on blood pressure and renal sodium retention. Am J Kidney Dis. 1998 Jan;31(1):19-27. doi: 10.1053/ajkd.1998.v31.pm9428447. PMID: 9428447.
Found in ReCharge Blend
Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is an essential vitamin that your body needs but cannot produce so must be consumed. It’s important for boosting your energy, improving your memory, and helping prevent heart disease. It supports the normal function of your nerve cells and is needed for red blood cell formation and DNA synthesis. B12 deficiency is common, can take years to show up, and diagnosing it can be complex. Low levels of B12 have been linked to mood and brain disorders like depression and dementia. When vitamin B12 levels are too low, the production of red blood cells is altered, causing anemia and low energy.
- Almeida OP, Ford AH, Flicker L. Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials of folate and vitamin B12 for depression. Int Psychogeriatr. 2015 May;27(5):727-37. doi: 10.1017/S1041610215000046. Epub 2015 Feb 3. PMID: 25644193.
- Malouf R, Areosa Sastre A. Vitamin B12 for cognition. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(3):CD004326. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004326. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(1):CD004326. PMID: 12918012.
- Lindenbaum J, Healton EB, Savage DG, Brust JC, Garrett TJ, Podell ER, Marcell PD, Stabler SP, Allen RH. Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. N Engl J Med. 1988 Jun 30;318(26):1720-8. doi: 10.1056/NEJM198806303182604. PMID: 3374544.
This page does not provide medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**It is suggested to consult your physician if you have any conditions that you are unsure may be contraindicated