SMART OWL COFFEE RECIPE: Granny's Elixer
This recipe can be made with ANY of the delectable Smart Owl Coffee blends, but we highly suggest using the Smart Owl Immune Blend because, not only does it have great immune boosting properties (as anyone would anticipate in a quality elixer), but the immune blend also boasts great flavor with soft citrus notes resulting from the blood orange extract it contains.
This luscious coffee concoction reminds us of the revered creamsicle popsicle that was so popular in our youth and makes it a good option hot or chilled over ice.
- 8 oz freshly brewed Smart Owl Immune Blend coffee
- 1-3 tsp honey (depending on how sweet your tooth is)
- 1-3 tsp Almond Milk creamer (or any preferred creamer, non-dairy is best for this recipe)
- 1/8 tsp orange extract (or 1 tbsp orange peel which is about 3 1"strips)
- a pinch of powdered ginger
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
fresh orange peel or zest
candied orange peel (recipe follows)
1. Brew your coffee at the strength that you most enjoy it (we recommend 2 tbsp/8oz water).
2. Stir in the honey, orange extract or peel, ginger, and nutmeg.
Helpful Hint: Use a vegetable peeler to remove the orange peels in long strips. Also, only peel the zest/skin from the outside and try to avoid the bitter rind.
3. Add creamer
4. Add bourbon, if you so choose.
4. Garnish with one or ALL of the suggested garnishes.
5. Enjoy hot OR pour over a tall glass of ice for a unique cold brew.
CANDIED ORANGE PEEL
- 3 oranges
- 2 cups granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cups water
1. Remove the skin and cut into strips about 1/4″ wide.
2. Place the strips in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, drain the water from the peels. Cover with fresh cold water and repeat this process 4-5 times to remove the bitterness from the peels.
3. Drain the water and transfer the peels to a bowl while you make the syrup.
4. In a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a simmer while whisking. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
5. Add the orange peels and ensure they are all coating in the syrup. Simmer over medium heat for around 45-60 minutes, taking care to prevent boiling. Check the peels every 20 minute or so. They are done when the white pith becomes transluscent.
6. Drain the peels, and space on a drying rack. Once dry store in airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Toss the drained peels in sugar before laying out to dry.
- Dip the dried peels in melted chocolate and let cool for an extra treat.
DRINK SMART. THINK SMART.